Residence Requirements

house clipart

School district assignment is determined by the actual street address of the student's primary residence. If you are unsure of the school district you reside in, please call the Transportation Department at 828-232-4240 with questions.

***Buncombe County Schools-Residence Proof Requirements*** 

Two proofs of residence are required and must be in the name of the parent/legal guardian.

One must be a current utility bill, such as:

  • Electric power bill

  • Gas bill

  • Water bill

Television, internet, and phone bills are not accepted.

One must be a current document regarding the ownership of the home, such as:

  • Mortgage statement

  • Rental/lease agreement

  • Deed

  • Buyer’s agreement with a closing date listed (after closing the parent/guardian may be required to provide a mortgage/lease statement)

  • Homeowner’s/renter’s insurance policy

If the parent/legal guardian is not the homeowner, a Statement of Residence (see below) must be completed by the parent/legal guardian and the homeowner. The homeowner will present required residency proof to school officials.

Providing false residency information for the purposes of school enrollment is a Class 1 misdemeanor and is a serious offense. This applies to any person providing false residency information for themselves or to benefit someone else.

Living With Someone In the Estes School District

If you are currently living with someone in the Estes School District, the person who has residence in the Estes School District must fill out and have notarized a Statement of Residence (see form link below). You must submit that form along with the above proof of residence requirements in the name of the person on the Statement of Residence showing an address in the Estes School District. 

Statement of Residence